when u can't be root - installing and using grinder ... help

when u can't be root - installing and using grinder ... help

stensland.qa
Hello! Trying to setup the linux version of grinder here at my job. I do not have root access ( was given a qa user) ... I also have been instructed that I can not edit profile env variables for this user. i.e. I can not set JAVA_PATH etc ... I know I can create a shell script and source it .. but what will the consequences be as I continue to try and install this ?
I noticed that I can not use the .sh to install maven ... is this just not a realistic situation ?

Should I make the case to get a new vm - that I own with root access ?

Suggestions/Help Welcome! Tks! Stensland