Slow startup time and occasional freeze periods

Slow startup time and occasional freeze periods

colinmain
I often experience delays of 2-5 minutes before the nGrinder (3.2.3) site responds; this happens whenever starting nGrinder but also at other times (typically first thing in the morning).

A review of the log files shows a couple of suspect areas:

1) RSS
    at org.ngrinder.home.service.HomeService.getRightPanelEntries(HomeService.java:117)
    at org.ngrinder.home.service.HomeService.getLeftPanelEntries(HomeService.java:78)

Looking at both these areas it seems that the XmlReader is created even if the URL is empty - and for some reason this is not spotted by the system which still tries to connect, timing out 15 seconds or so later - it does this a couple of times. My corporate firewall prevents RSS feeds from the nGrinder server so please could we have a tiny bit of logic that checks for a blank URL and skips the connection attempt?

2) Cubrid DB
    at org.ngrinder.infra.init.DatabaseUpdater.getDatabase(DatabaseUpdater.java:64)
    at org.ngrinder.infra.init.DatabaseUpdater.init(DatabaseUpdater.java:86)
    at org.ngrinder.infra.init.DatabaseUpdater.getDatabase(DatabaseUpdater.java:60)

This is a trickier one for me to analyse but we are not running with a database so I suspect there may be some better logic needed to check for this.

Once things have timed out the system appears fine.

Regards,

Colin Main
Colin

Re: Slow startup time and occasional freeze periods

balajilinks
Hi Collin,

RSS feed settings can be configured in nGrinder controller advanced configurations..
Set blank to the following property in controller properties.

ngrinder.frontpage.rss

Balaji

Re: Slow startup time and occasional freeze periods

colinmain
Hi Balaji,
I hope you are well!

I have tried that but it makes no difference - the system still seems to try to load the RSS for a blank URL and takes its time over it (have at lines 76-78 and lines 116-117 here: https://github.com/nhnopensource/ngrinder/blob/master/ngrinder-controller/src/main/java/org/ngrinder/home/service/HomeService.java - they do not check for a blank parameter value).

Regards,

Colin
Colin

Re: Slow startup time and occasional freeze periods

colinmain
And a very *very* minor bugette - the error message reads "Error while patching ngriner rss", rather than "...ngrinDer..."
Colin

Re: Slow startup time and occasional freeze periods

junoyoon
nGrinder tries to connect several URLs when it starts.

1. Nabble RRS page : for QnA
2. Cubrid RSS page : for Materials doc.
3. Google Analytics for usage report (Just IP is sent)

So these three might slow down the start.

For 1, 2, you can not turn it down unfortunately. Instead you can make it point to the other RSS URL which is not blocked by your firewall or fast-failed URL.

In case of  1, 2
ngrinder.frontpage.rss=bow-wow
ngrinder.frontpage.qna.rss=bow-wow

In case of 3
usage.report=false

For the cubrid error... A U using cubrid? ngrinder doesn't install cubrid automatically. when nothing is set, it uses H2 as default DB. So if there are cubrid error... which means you incorrectly enabled cubrid in the databases.conf file, ngrinder failed to run with cubrid and it chooses h2 as db finally.
Please check database.conf file.

For occasional freeze problem..
The cached ngrinder front page content(two rss) is timeouted every 100000 min..
the freeze can be happened when you don't touch the ngrinder over 100000 min.
Fix for the rss might help the freeze to be reduced.

Finally. Thanks for typo problem reporting. This will be fixed by 3.3 version.