Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

balajilinks
I am planning to deploy nGrinder controller in Unix Box. I am looking for recommendations on hardware side. Currently I am planning single controller with 4 agents for around 50+ users. I am not expecting more than 4 tests running concurrently. I will limit the users with single agent. Is there any recommendation of Memory and CPU configurations for Agent and Controller?..

Re: Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

junoyoon
Administrator
Generally speaking, necessary HW is not related to the user size but how much virtual user size you'll specify and how complex script you write.

Each agent can handle about 900 vuser if the agent have 2 core and 4GB ram.
However it's measure when the script has only a single HTTP call.

So if you need 4000 vuser (single HTTP call), you might need at least 5 machines.

Anyway... we currently have 35 agents and these machines handle 1000 developers needs here.
Each agent has 2 core and 4GB ram..  (It's not expensive machines. Some of them are even VMs.)
Just buy cheap one. and please install CentOS 6.X in these machine.
CentOS is the main OS on which we test ngrinder.

Re: Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

balajilinks
Thanks Junoyoon.. I will set my agents two cores and 4 GB RAM.

1.  My understanding is nGrinder controller doesn't require very powerful machines and only agents require more power full machines depending on the load. Is my undersdtanding correct?..

2. Do I need to improve the server configuration, if I plan to add many agents in future?..

3. Is it possible to run multiple agents in single machine?.. ( If I have box of 4 CPU's and 8GB RAM, can I run 2 agents?.. )  .. My assumption is No.. Please correct me..

Thanks Again..

Re: Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

junoyoon
Administrator

Thanks Junoyoon.. I will set my agents two cores and 4 GB RAM.

1.  My understanding is nGrinder controller doesn't require very powerful machines and only agents require more power full machines depending on the load. Is my undersdtanding correct?..
==> Right. controller doesn't need a powerful machine. When I run a test, it requires only 2~5% cpu load, It can be run with very limited machine like... 1 core, 2GB ram.

2. Do I need to improve the server configuration, if I plan to add many agents in future?..
==> 1 core, 2GB ram machine may handles more than 20 agents. Don't worry.

3. Is it possible to run multiple agents in single machine?.. ( If I have box of 4 CPU's and 8GB RAM, can I run 2 agents?.. )  .. My assumption is No.. Please correct me..
==> Yes.. if you set the NGRINDER_AGENT_HOME env var per each agent, you can run multiple agent...  or run the agents with different account.

==> However, it's not recommended..

==> Because this can cause the agent performance unpredictable..

Thanks Again..

http://ngrinder.642.n7.nabble.com/Recommendations-for-Hardware-Agent-Controller-Sizing-tp548p550.html
To start a new topic under ngrinder-user-en, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ngrinder-user-en, click here.
NAML

Re: Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

balajilinks
Thanks a lot Junoyoon..

Re: Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

junoyoon
Administrator
And... Could you tell me the your company URL?

I'd like to make it as reference. :-)

Re: Recommendations for Hardware (Agent/Controller) Sizing

balajilinks
Leading Airlines Carrier in Europe :)